Monday, November 10, 2008

Budapest...no U-Da-Best! I heard that and thought it was clever..

So, I am not even sure where to start with my trip to Budapest because the whole thing was just incredible! We can always start from the beginning..Now, we all know any trip a Davis takes cannot just go smoothly, at least not for me. To follow tradition of dysfunctionality (if that is even a word) I missed the train, along with a few of the other girls in the group. At first this seemed very frustrating and I felt like I was getting gyped a day of fun in Budapest but it turned out to be a blessing in Disguise. First off, we got lucky that when we went back to try and change our tickets there was a lady working who spoke English and we also got lucky that one of the girls that missed the train was Alicia, she is pretty fluent in Romanian. With their forces combined we were able to change our tickets and only have to spend $5. The next blessing was that we got to spend a day in the City of Cluj. This may seem weird as a blessing but I got to see and experience a lot of things that I would not have otherwise and it was an amazing experience.

Then we made it to budapest and I never knew it was such a beautiful city and so I was pleasantly surprised. To tell the rest of the story I will just talk through my pictures, it is just easier for me that way!

And yes I do have food pictures and there are only two this time...first off, I love gyros and someone should start up a gyros stand in Provo somewhere, it would be a hit! Second off, this is the man that sang and danced for me and gave me extra meat since Obama won...he was very entertaining!
You can never go wrong with Pastries!
This is the room we were staying in at the Hostel...it was called the Bob Marley room!! RAD!
I saw the Opera, Elektra, and so this is me in the Opera House...pretty awesome! It is too bad the Opera was in German and then the subtitles were in Hungarian, it was a little more difficult to follow.
On a ferry ride on the Danube where we learned about the history of Budapest.

See why I like it so much

Another one of the Opera House
Chain Bridge
Buda Castle
St. Stephen's Church, so beautiful! I love castles...they never get old:)
I was just proud of my picture taking skills on this one

Hereo's Square

Parliament Building
Cool View and a ncie Hike
Gardens in Cluj

The train ride was so much fun..I wish we traveled on trains more through the US, and they are way cheap!
I just like this one


Ttthhattssss ALL FOLKS!

9 comments:

Rachey said...

The train looks so fun! And as I mentioned before, the trains in India looked nothing like that. Were there toilets or just holes leading out onto the tracks?

I love all the pics, Budapest looks so beautiful! I'm jealous.

Anonymous said...

Was Heroes square named for the heroes of the uprising in 1956? I was teaching school in Monterey, California at the time. Our PTA President was a man from Hungary who escaped with his wife 10 years before, leaving 2 small children behind. They had 2 American born children. They had been trying to get their 2 oldest children out for 10 years.

To make a long story short, they got them out about 3 days before the uprising. If they had been a few days later, it probably would never have happened.

He was teaching at the Army Language Training Center in Monterey, that was next door to our school. Several of my students had parents teaching at that school. It was pretty interesting.

I am way jealous of your travels as well...we can't come see you in Romania but we hope to see you after Christmas in Utah! Grandma Lynn

Anonymous said...

its so colorful. thats why i like europe. the buildings are all so bright. looks like fun.

michelle said...

You just made my list even longer of places I hope to see before I die. Trains are the best way to travel because you get to see all of the small towns you miss otherwise. Way cool pictures kinsey.

Sarah Haynie said...

Incredible Kinsey! I have been waiting anxiously to see the pictures. I want so much to spend time with you when you come home and hear all the stories first hand. Don't know when that will happen but you never know. Love to you young lady, GS

Vanessa said...

Beautiful pictures:) Thanks for sharing!!

Katie said...

awwww.... how amazing! i miss you!

Good Times Don't Last Long..... said...

Jealousy

I can't wait till I get to post pictures of my study abroad in China.

I'm so happy for you that you are having this experience in Romania. The pictures you took are amazing. It looks like you are in an area that is rich with culture. Wish I could be there to experience it too! Hope you're having fun with your orphans.

Talk to you soon!

~Mike

Vern said...

I love how you have just as many pictures of food as you do of historical markers. You have no idea how much I respect you for that!