Thursday, October 1, 2009

St. George Marathon

“Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday.”

Over the summer I got a crazy notion that I should run a marathon, a full 26.2 miles straight, particularly in the beautiful desert of St. George!!! At the time it seemed like a great idea, something fun to accomplish, a goal almost impossible but in my grasp.....well,l it was in my grasp. Just like anything else when I first started training I was so happy and going running everyday and on top of the ball (this is how most "new goals" in my life start out). I don't want to drag out my runners log and bore everyone so bottom line: School started, I started dating someone and I work all day, needless to say, my training declined, greatly....duh duh duh! About 2 1/2 weeks ago I got encouraged again and my excitement (or adrenaline) increased so it was time to jump on the ball again.

My training declined again but this time for another reason. Who knows what Iliotibial (IT) band syndrome is?? Pick me, Pick me!! Ok, so I actually had no idea what this meant when the Doctor told me. My face looked blank and vacant, like any college student, and very confused. He went on to show me a picture somewhat like this:
The gray part on the left is the IT Band. In lamest terms my knee is inflamed and every time I move my leg, even to walk, I feel a sharp pain go up from my knee to the top of my thigh. Pretty exciting stuff. You can see why my training was put on hold. I have been doing physical therapy and stretches to feel peace again with my knee. It works, until I run, so does that mean it doesn't work? Moral of the story: I am scared out of my mind to run 26.2 miles. I am not looking forward to the pain I will be feeling the whole run...and for days after. Does physical therapy really work?

Even though my time is going to be pretty horrendous I have decided to just be proud that I am doing it and "learn to lose" with grace and style of course!

Update on the actual race to come!!

6 comments:

RyGuy said...

That's just something losers say.

KinseyBug said...

that is the kind of comment I expected you to say...

Anonymous said...

Methinks the human body was not intended to endure such punishment...perhaps you could just 'watch' the St George marathon! Love you, Grandma

Sarah Haynie said...

I know how much you want to run this marathon but do be wise in your decision and "if" the doctor does not think it is a good idea, how about next year? Would they give you a steroid shot to ease the inflamation? I love those shots they make it possible for me to move everyday. I am sorry this happened to you and I hope it will get well soon. Love you very much, so be careful!

Rachey said...

It's "layman's terms"

Ha ha you totally had a Michael Scott moment.

Katie said...

GOOD LUCK!