Tuesday, February 24, 2009

FACEBOOK

Lately I have had small reminders of what life was like before cell phones, before new computers and fast and modern technology and before Facebook.......Facebook has its pros when it comes to keeping in touch with old friends, new friends, and family and I enjoy chatting with these wonderful people in my life; but, then come the cons. I don't enjoy how nosey it has made people, including myself, I don't enjoy the complications it can cause in relationships, the miscommunications that happen from it and how people can look at your pics and assume what they want without actually knowing or discussing it with you. So, I have debated just get rid of the whole thing, or get rid of all my pictures and any kind of personal information, or leave it how it is.....your thoughts. 

And ANOTHER thing...texting! What is up with that?! Do people not know how to call someone anymore? Is it that hard to use your speed dial and say hello and ask what it is you want or discuss whatever it may be you want to discuss. I cannot tell you how many dates I have been asked out on through texts, and while I give the guy the benefit of the doubt (maybe he is just really shy or scared) but come one, suck it up, be a man, pick up the phone and call me! And the conversations people have through texts, I don's want to learn about someone through text I want to hear their voice and be able to pick up different cues and know when to laugh rather then hope they send a :) or a haha so I know they were trying to be funny. This is not aimed at anyone in particular it is just I have remembered how easy life was before these two new technologies and how different it was. I want it back. 

But here is still the remaining dilemma do I have the GUTS to get rid of it all?? Or should I even get rid of it all? Again, your thoughts.....

5 comments:

michelle said...

I am a believer in face to face communication instead of facebook to facebook! I think it is great that we can stay digitally connected to so many people, but I think that our spirits thrive on real life interaction with people... Here's to the old fashioned telephone call are even better a chat with two people in the same room.

Matt Heder said...

tru dat tru dat and tru dat!!!! Me and Heath had a fun time being the only ones in Provo without text for a long time. I finally gave in because there were a lot of professional reasons to have it but just tell people you don't respond that well or that much to texts. Also with facebook do the same, make sure that people know that you don't communicate that well on facebook and just don't place photo albums on it. These things just add a whole new dimension to self control with time management and with priorities!! Those are my thoughts?

Sarah Haynie said...

Hey Kinsey:

I would much rather have you call me than receive a text message. Maybe texting has its place if you are unable to talk at the moment. I have often wanted to say: I will call you as soon as I am free (or something like that.) Just so I could talk to the person texting. I like facebooks because I can see all the pics etc. Maybe our family group should be the place we (family) post our pics, etc. We would be careful not to assume anything or misunderstand any comments made. BECAUSE .. we love each other!!!!! I love you so much.

Rachey said...

I don't post many pics on facebook, I like to use my blog for that now. It feels more private cause only really good friends and family know I have one.

Brianne said...

I wonder if people felt this way when the telephone was invented, irritated when their neighbors called them for a cup of sugar instead of just stopping by. Disappointed in the quality of communication that now took place. But none of us question the value of a telephone these days. In fact most would view it as a necessity. I'm all for embracing new technology...upward and onward! I love progression (and texting and facebook.) But of course there is a right time and place to use it all.