Monday, September 14, 2009

Arrested Development

I want to start by just saying this is an incredible show and in my TOP 5 for sure! But the real reason for this post is that I have always wondered where they got this name from for the show. Today I had an epiphany, as I was studying Freud and his theories, and it all makes sense now. For anyone who has watched the show the gist of it is that it is about a very dysfunctional family (more so then ours:)

So, I was reading about the psychosexual stages in life (that Freud believed to be true) and he discusses how if any of these "stages" is skipped or something traumatic happens during that "stage" then that person is "Stuck" in that stage and will show signs of it later in their life. An example Freud gives (keep in mind this is not my opinion) is a child in the oral stage; if they are not breast fed or their parents don't allow them to suck their thumb or pacifier then they did not get the pleasure they desired from that stage in order to progress....so later on in life they may become a smoker or someone who gossips frequent, all in all, something to do with the mouth.

Long story short, and I do not want to go into anymore detail as Freud is an interesting character that causes a lot of controversy, but the show is called Arrested Development because the family members are all "stuck" in a certain stage. I am going to go on to analyze the characters and the stages I believe they are "stuck" in later...so stay tuned!

4 comments:

Matt Heder said...

ha ha awesome commentary. remember that the title also alludes to the fact that George Sr. is a contractor and the business is never going anywhere and everything is always up and down with it.

Marshal said...

even better, it is talking about how their lives "develop" while their father is "arrested"
easier explanation

KinseyBug said...

This is fun!

Rachey said...

I always though it had dual or triple meaning. Arrested development because their dad got arrested which was a new development. Arrested development because of what Matt said, this development that is no longer moving forward. And then your reason, all of their development has been arrested.

Anyway, look forward to your analysis. I miss the Bluth family!