Thursday, January 13, 2011

Condaleezza Rice at BYU

Being a student at BYU I tend to be very comfortable and more conservative than I would be in a different state or school. I don't think its a bad thing but sometimes I feel pretty protected from the rest world. Today as I drove to work I saw the first protest EVER since I came to BYU! (This is the first one I have ever seen, I have heard of one other happenning when Dick Chenney came to speak at a graduation). Condaleezza Rice was speaking today so of course this called for a anti-war gathering on the street. It was very entertaining to watch while I was sitting at the light for what seemed like eternity. Then it proved frustrating as I tried to find a parking spot for work and it took me more than ten minutes to find someone to stalk to their car and wave as if to say "I swear I'm not creepy just late for work" (Thanks a lot Condoleezza).

Anyway, after these incidences I came to work and I heard some comments about the protesters needing to "get a life" and "dont they have anything better to do" (I hope none of my co-workers read this and if you do don't take it personally. I think that it is great that there are a handful of BYU students who want to freeze their buns off outside to express their freedom of speech and opinions. It is not something I would choose to do in the middle of the winter in Utah but GO THEM! I am just grateful that we live in a free country where if I ever desired to I could go join those protesters in the cold with my groovy PEACE sign!

1 comment:

Rachey said...

It is nice when once every few years BYU students actually decide to protest something. Ha ha, BYU is such a boring place when it comes to political activism, especially compared to other college campuses.