Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Becoming A Single Mom of 4 and a College Student all in 1 DAY!

Weird title huh?? I am sure it has all of you intrigued. Well, let me enlighten you a little bit. There is this really nice family in my mom's ward who needed someone to watch their 4 kids for this week while they are on vacation. Being the delightful person I am of course I agreed....plus we all know I love playing with kids, mostly because I am still a kid myself. I did not anticipate how hard it was actually going to be to balance the kids and schoolwork and training for my marathon. A neighbor watches the kids while I am in class (which by the way commuting to Provo everyday just for a class for 2 hours is so not worth it) but I have to make it back as soon as it is over because she doesn't have all day to watch them; which leads me to no time to study on campus. So, my day went like this:
1. School, come back for to McD's because the kids love it and I did not feel like cooking
2. Go for a Walk outside and play on their swing set outback
3. Put the baby down to bed while the boys proceed to play in the sprinklers and get wet...kids have so much fun, although the past couple of weeks I have played in the sprinklers a little bit myself, so fun!
4. I get the joy of 3 boys running through the house soaked as I tell them to go back to the front and let me get some towels to dry off with (this is at about 8:30)
5. We get everyone in their pj's and ready for bed and have scripture study and watch Peter Pan
6. That is when I saw my opportunity to go downstairs and go running and work out PERFECT!
7. 9:45 bed time for everyone! YAY!
8. 10:30 Getting them in bed took longer then expected...now I get to work on my paper that is die before midnight tonight, finish and catch up on reading and complete my survey for a research class....and here I am blogging about it all.
You will be happy to know I did just finish my paper and am starting on the rest but I just wanted to thank my Mom for all the work she has done and my Dad. They are a great team and from them I have learned how to be strong and responsible to balance crazy times like this in my life. Moral of the story: Don't get pregnant before you get married, being a single mom is hard, and do not have quadruplets...just start with one and work your way up:)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow the moral of the story sounds so familiar..... someone very wise must have come up with that. I want to meet that person one day.....

Natalie said...

hmmm maybe I'll just skip the college part. Having a kid doesn't seem so hard. College seems worse. haha

Sarah Haynie said...

Those kids are lucky to have you with them for the week. I am sure you will appreciate the quiet and lack of responsibility when the parents get home.

Good luck with the marathon. Say, when do you go to Hawaii? OR Did I miss that trip?

LOL

Anonymous said...

I understand how hard it is. I am a single mom of 3 with twins on the way. my exhusband don't pay childsupport. my income is only 674.00 a month my house payment is 600.00. I am goin to lose everything. Can not get a job high risk an no family support. I put my hat off to you. You still have time to go to school and work and be a mom. I am trying to do what u do and learn every step of the way. Thank you for your story it lets me know any thing is possible.