Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Orphanage

Today was my second day working in the orphanage and I am just not even sure what to say; there are so many thoughts running through my head right now. The first being how exhausted I was after only three hours of working and playing with these kids. I do not know how the workers make it through the whole day! I gained a new respect for them and what they do, especially considering that they do not make very much money from this job.

So, in the orphanage there are three sections and there are 9 of us students who are working there so they put us into groups and we spent an hour in each section; by Friday we will all have our own section that will continue to work in for the rest of the semester. Today was kind of like a Costco sample of everything that is going on and of what all the kids are like. I found that every section has its pros and cons and would be fine working in any of them.

As for the experiences over the last two days it was just crazy. There were so many sweet moments when a child would just see you walk in the room and their eyes would just light up as they run up to you and hug your leg like they never want to let go. Those are the moments that I know when I leave I will miss greatly. Then there are the kids who are more difficult to deal with and I have had to try to tell myself to be stern and not let them take advantage of me but we all know how big of a sucker I am and that was pretty difficult. Oh, and what, to me, is the hardest of all things to deal with is when you are playing a child and you need to leave and they start physically hurting themselves so that you won't leave them and all you can do is walk away. And the next day you see the bruises from them hitting their head on the wall or scratch marks on their face. There has got to be a better way to leave and let them know that you will be back and to have them trust you, but then again why should they trust us when they do very well know in three months we will be gone.

Sorry that was a sad moment but it is just a taste of what I have seen in only two days and what I am going to be working with for three months. On a happier note we had dance time today with the kids which were so much fun!! I had a couple of kids just attach on to me and did not want to leave my side the whole time. It was so adorable to see them dance and just get so excited...oh and these are the two kids that I will be bringing back with me:) Their names are Andre and Andrea (I know so similar and original but hey it will make it easier to not forget their names right). Anyways, they were just the sweetest kids and I can hardly wait to see them tomorrow.

We work in the hospital from 9-12 an then from 2-5 we go volunteer at the hospital. My sister was asking what exactly we do and at first I was not sure but today I went for the first time so now I know. We go to every floor in the hospital, and there are 8, and ask the nurses "Aveti copii fara Mama?" Which means are there any children without a mom, and if there are then we go and change their diapers, that we provide, and leave a couple of extras for the nurses to use, and then we bring toys so we can play with the kids, hold them, or jus talk to them. It was a really sweet experience to see these children in pretty poor conditions but know that you were bringing some light and love into their day. At first I was kind of depressed thinking about these children without Mama's but then I noticed something as I went from room to room....Every room has at least 3-4 children in it and when I would go into a room the other Mama's in the room would tell me the child’s name and would even help me. What I discovered was that women really do have a motherly and sweet nurturing spirit and so even though those children are not their responsibility the mothers in that room do care and help out with the motherless kids. It was so sweet and comforting to know that when I am not there someone else is.

Well, that is a mini novel for you! I hope you enjoy it and if you did not finish it then I am so ok with that too.

5 comments:

Rachey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vanessa said...

I can't wait to see both of you with 12 children:) ha ha

Rachey said...

I love hearing about your experiences because they bring the memories flooding back! I remember teaching our kids the Macarena (they loved it) and I remember how there were always at least three children attached to me at a time.

I never had to deal with the children hurting themselves when I left, they seemed to know I was coming back. That just sounds awful.

I am so glad that you are there to give them love, my time at the orphanage in Cambodia made me realize how important love is, its more important than anything I think.

I guess you and I might both end up adopting 12 children after all huh?

michelle said...

As a Mom there is not anything that makes me happier than to see one of my kids grow into a really wonderful, caring adult. You are just the kind of person I always hoped you would be, the kind of person I love to be around and call one of my own.
Love,
Mom

KinseyBug said...

thanks Mom and I am glad to see that you know how to leave comments...how awesome are you! I love you! And I am here because of you and Dad so thank you!