Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Sweet Emotion

Sorry it has been a few days since I have updated my blog but the internet has been in and out all week...speaking of which a double double with a chocolate shake sounds so good right now! Well, this last weekend was a fun one not to mention I got a ton of school work and research done so I am staying on top of things, instead of procrastinating like I usually do. Really the best part of my weekend was being able to talk to my family on skype and to see their faces, and Penny too! Even though I am having a ton of fun out here and just really busy it is still nice to be connected with home.

On another note, a lot of good things have happened over the past couple of days. Two kids that i work with, Ghiorcel and Valentina, made huge progress (well it may not seem huge to you but to me it is). They are both non verbal and through a Romanian children's song (In Padurea Cu Alune) Rhett and I were able to get Ghiorcel to hum along and whenever it came to the chorus he would actually sing it; given the chorus is just pu pu pu pu over and over but we will take whatever we can get. We discovered that he really loves this song. Just hearing other words and noises come out of his mouth that was not screaming was so nice. And today I tried the same thing with Valentina and again she would try to sing the chorus with me. Oh, and I also was trying to teach her some animals so I was showing her a card of a fish (peste in romanian) and would move my hands like a fish as I said it and after a couple of tries she would move her hands in the same motion, point at the picture and try to say the word but all she could get out was the "p" sound, but still that is a huge deal.

Again I am not sure how many of you actually understand how big of a deal this is but it is and it was something that I needed to see to know that my work will pay off for this kids and hopefully help them progress a lot more on their vocabulary.

On a fun note last night I went to FHE and we played one of those get to know you games with everyone there, and it was the one where you write down a question and then we go around the room and everyone answers the question. Well, someone asked the question have you ever been skinny dipping. I was thinking well that is lame I am sure like everyone in this room has come to find out that skinny dipping is not as common as I thought. Out of about 20 people only 4 of us had been skinny dipping so thanks to my family, extended as well, for your examples and for all those fun memories.

Speaking of which I would like to share one of my mom's experiences with skinny dipping and then you will see where I get it form. When I was younger, I think 11 or 12, we went to Lake Powell with the Haynie's for a family reunion, and this is where I was first introduced to skinny dipping, as one night I heard a lot of laughter and for those of you who know my mom she has a very distinguishable laugh, so I woke up and went outside to find my mom and my aunts doing, what I thought, just swimming....come to find out that they were swimming with nothing on! Now mom at first I was shocked, but then as time went on I just became proud. So, Mom here is just one dedication to you of many to come and thanks for introducing me to this awesome activity:) haha oh and Happy BIRTHDAY!!!!

6 comments:

michelle said...

I just love that my daughters keep revealing all of my well guarded secrets on their blogs. I will continue to plead the 5th for just about everything they write. Lies, all lies!!

Rachey said...

Ha ha, what a nice present for Mom on her birthday! What else can we reveal about you?

P.S. Thats very exciting about their progress in learning to speak.
P.P.S And I'm so glad Pamela is doing better.
P.P.P.S. You never answered my question of whether non Romanians can adopt Romanians now.

KinseyBug said...

Oh yes we can adopt now so I will be bringing a few back with me:) After all I did get Mom's permission that is her real birthday present!

whitney said...

great work with vali and ghirocel! it is nice to know they are in such good hands! give them some kisses from me please!

Vern said...

I love a good skinny dipping dedication.

KinseyBug said...

You would...speaking of which I do remember a many a time when you were a part of the educating. my favorite being in Israel!