Monday, October 27, 2008

Cookies. McDonald's and Memories!!

The last week and a half has been very interesting. I spent 3 days of it cleaning and ironing everything I own to make sure I won't get scabies again. As of now I still have the bumps from where the scabies are but underneath are dead bugs...gross! I was not allowed to go to work for 4 days which was killer. I was so bored! In that time I got a lot of schoolwork done and caught up on all my t.v. series that I have been missing:) I also learned something that service really does bring something to special into your life that can not even really be described in words. In those 4 days that I was not allowed to go work I found reasons to be depressed, and thus an excuse to eat a lot, and was not even sure why. I found myself thinking about home way too much. On saturday I decided to go to the hospital and play with some of the kids there that don't have families. It was amazing how just three hours of serving others brought to me so much joy and happiness that I was on a high the rest of the day and into Sunday. I cannot imagine the withdrawals I will be going through when I come home. I even got a lil taste of what it is going to be like when these kids are not a part of my life anymore and man I am going to miss them.

Oh, and I made some really good friends with this one room in the Hospital. A boy named Paradu is from the orphanage for the older kids and had to have half of his leg amputated (the only thing I could understand when I asked why was something about bad blood). Anyway, he is a cute kid and there are about 8 other boys in that room and they are an interesting crowd. For an 1 1/2 I play card games, color, throw balls around and try to talk to them in Romanian. Today, however, they asked me to teach them English, that was fun.

On Sunday I got to teach primary! Sister Doina's family came and right after Sacrament Meeting her two kids, Pati and Stefan, ran up and gave me a huge hug. It was the funnest two hours ever! We sang songs, played Bula Bula, hang man, read stories from the Book of Mormon, colored and played with cars. Pretty much out here I just get to be a kid again and it is so much fun! I love having an imagination again and just loving everything about life. For my second calling I have been preparing and getting ready for the Branch Halloween Party this friday. I am excited for it and I hope it will be really successful.


At Dancu today I saw a lot of progress with the kids. We are working a lot with them on their counting and hand eye coordination and it has been great. I will fill you in more when I need to write another novel cuz I think this one is long enough!


Closest I can get to a good burger...and after 10 years of refusing to eat here the whole living in a 2nd world country made me give in!

Mom!! Thank you for the cookies! Look at that smile.....it says it all!




4 comments:

michelle said...

I guess I can never leave the US if it means I will actually want to eat at the golden arches! Did you let the boys win any of the card games? I know how competitive you get when playing cards. I can't wait to hear about your Halloween party. You are doing good work in Romania and we are all benefiting because we get to read about it. Love you.

Sarah Haynie said...

Hey there young lady! I think of you all the time and check to see if you have added anything to your blog at least twice a day. I am living vicariously with you and so wish I could be a part of what you are doing. I will have to leave this service project up to you. Remember, they will always remember your loving way and especially your smile. I wish you could bring them all home with you and we could start an orphanage here and then I could go to work for you. I am in a dream world. So proud of you! Keep smiling! GS

Anonymous said...

look at your crazy little oven thing. how cute!! i'm glad the bugs are at least DEAD now. gross!!

Vern said...

Wizard of Oz II: "gypsies and scabies and owls, oh my!"