Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Tram Ride

Every other day out here I take the tram at least twice a day and sometimes four...so that turns out to be around 10-12 tram rides a week, give or take. I feel like this is the time when I really witness the culture and how things are done with the people. I have seen all kinds of people on these trips but today something really hit me.

I was with Rhett and this guy got on the tram and was looking pretty homeless and drunk. My first feeling was just sympathy for this man and the hard life he must lead. Then, he sat down across from us, and mind you this is at 8:30 in the morning, and pulled out his 2 liter bottle of beer and started to drink it. As I watched, smelled and observed the beer starting to run down his neck a lot of things came to my mind all at once. Again, sympathy that this man turns to beer in hopes that he will feel better. The next immediate feeling was the gratitude that I have for being raised in a home and environment where drinking is discouraged. I am so glad that I do not have the dependency on beer or any kind of alcohol, and since alcoholism runs so strongly in the family blood it would probably be a bad idea. Last, is my feeling of gratitude that I did not grow up in a home where either of my parents would return drunk or start off their mornings that way. I am just so grateful for our healthy lifestyle and because of this I know that my family has been blessed with more laughter, smiles and love in our home and relationships. So, thank you to Mom and Dad and to their parents who raised them just as well as they have raised me.

2 comments:

Rachey said...

Amen! It is sad that so many drink alcohol so casually and don't think of all the pain and suffering it causes in so many peoples lives. Thanks for sharing those thoughts.

Sarah Haynie said...

I am so glad that you are who you are and have the standards that you have and that goes to you being raised in a home with the values the Lord has directed us to follow. Let me tell you, it does not feel good to see loved ones that are adicted to alcohol or whatever. I am so grateful for my children and grandchildren and pray they will never, never attempt to play around with alcohol. You are right, the blood lines are not the best and they say you can inherit the weakness for adiction. On the lighter side, you got the adiction to chocolate from ME. Time for me to go make some chocolate-chip cookies. Love you so and your thoughtful blog is heartwarming. Keep safe and keep loving those beautiful children. Hugs, GS